|USU students with the wheelchair lift.|
|The daVinci Awards will be |
announced on March 10.
The idea for the wheelchair lift, demonstrated in this YouTube video, came from UATP's Amy Henningsen who was having trouble lifting her mother's manual wheelchair into the car trunk on shopping trips.
Students James Somers, McKay Pace and Brian Laird designed the project for their Senior Design Class under a grant from the National Science Foundation. The device helps people with disabilities and their families easily put manual wheelchairs into car trunks.
Some unique characteristics about the device:
- No modifications to the trunk required.
- Adjustable heights and lengths.
- Clamp for securing the wheelchair.
- Ratcheting handle – prevents slipping of chair when not in motion.
- Safety guard over the winch.
- Additional space left in the trunk for other items.
- Cost effective at approximately $1000.
- A utility patent is pending.
Winners of the da Vinci Awards will be announced March 10. For more information on the awards and the ceremony, click the flier below.