Thursday, July 18, 2019

Independence, unboxed: UATP small grant gives mobility

Scooter “will allow me to once again get out and enjoy life”

scooter on a wooden floor
A small grant from UATP facilitated
the purchase of this scooter.
ST GEORGE--This thank you note regarding a small grant from the Utah Assistive Technology Program was reprinted with permission from Kathryn Naron.

Dear Lois,

Red Rock Center for Independence recently assisted me in applying for a Utah Assistive Technology Program small grant in the amount of $400 to go towards the purchase of an electric mobility scooter. I received word on Tuesday that the grant was approved, and the scooter was ordered today.

I want to thank you and all those who participated in the grant approval process. It means more to me than I can possibly describe, but I will try.

Prior to my retirement from the Foundation of Dixie Regional Medical Center in 2012, I enjoyed a full life in spite of pain stemming from multiple degenerative, inflammatory, and neurological ailments. After retirement, I tried to maintain a certain level of activity and sense of purpose by volunteering in the community, serving on boards or committees of several non-profit organizations, and being a member of a professional choir. 

However, over the past 5 years, my body continued to deteriorate and pain increased. The last two years brought mostly immobility. Dropping out of every activity I had previously enjoyed caused feelings of despair. Self-imposed isolation became increasingly frequent. I was unable to stand for more than a couple of minutes or walk any distance, and life came to a screeching halt.
The decision to go anywhere at all had to be measured by how far I would have to walk or stand in a line. More often than not, knowing how much pain I would endure prevented me from going. 

I purchased a used transport chair hoping to get out more, but that requires asking someone to push me. For an independent (and perhaps a little too prideful) woman, that’s a difficult ask. It was just easier to sit at home and mope.  

The UATF grant of $400 that facilitated the purchase of an electric mobility scooter will, singularly, allow me to once again be more functional at home, be active in the community, and to get out and enjoy life. I will not only regain mobility, but quality of life and a renewed sense of purpose.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, the deepest appreciation.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Naron

1 comment: