Tuesday, February 12, 2013
The annual AgrAbility National Training Workshop is coming up in April, and will be held in Minneapolis. Professionals and consumers are welcome. A limited number of scholarships are available to farmers and ranchers. Learn more at the AgrAbility website.
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
What has UATP been up to? Here's a few highlights from the past two months to show how we serve the Utah public.
1. Storee, UATP public relations specialist, presented a training on assistive technology for children to the Davis County Up to 3 program on Jan. 25th. Twenty professionals attended.
2. Monica, minority outreach specialist, provided a demonstration to the Options for Independence low-vision group. Eleven individuals attended. She will provide another demonstration on January 17th.
3. Clay, AT Lab coordinator, has been charged with moving the Smart Apartment forward. This is a project that will assist with research and creating new assistive technology systems. He will be wiring and running sensors in cooperation with the Energy Dynamics Lab.
4. Clay reported that three PEER students are utilizing the AT Lab, along with one student from the Employability Clinic. Approximately 60 students from the USU SPED 5530 class will be working on projects at the Lab.
(Citizens Reutilizing Assistive Technology Equipment) refurbished,
recycled and repaired 102 donated mobility devices in 2012, saving
|Emma Ward was one of CReATE's |
2012 wheelchair recipients.
6. The Utah Assistive Technology Foundation approved 11 loans in December and three small grants to individuals with disabilities to buy assistive technology.
Friday, February 1, 2013
In January, Utah State Representative Ed Redd of Legislative District 4 (Cache Valley), visited the Assistive Technology Lab to learn more about what the UATP does to serve the community. Rep. Redd is a physician by trade, and has experience in disability issues. Thanks for your support Rep. Redd!
|Rep. Ed Redd (2nd left) with UATP staff in the Assistive Technology Lab.|
|Rep. Redd is was elected to the Utah Legislature |
last November, and UATP is looking forward to his service.
|Rep. Redd admires the AT Lab's welding station.|
|Clay and Ed conversing about what the AT Lab |
does to help Utahn's with disabilities.
|AT Lab Coordinator Clay Christensen (back left) shows Rep. Redd (front)|
a project he's working on for a community member.